Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Still here...

Just reminding everyone I'm still looking at my blog. I just don't really have anything interesting to report lately. I've been doing Aikido with Rob on and off, and I'm learning more helping him be an uke than I ever did as a Tori. I'm definitely getting a better sense of why certain moves work. For instance, the other night I was trying to show him gyakugamae ate but I kept instinctively doing ushiro ate. Now maybe I was doing something completely wrong, but from examining it with Rob I think I know why I was doing ushiro ate. After getting the initial off-balance to the side, Rob was compensating and keeping his back straight with little to no downward motion so I kept slipping behind him and catching the shoulders. Now anyone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but going through the 17 or 23, we move from one off balance to another to demonstrate how to move with uke if uke does "x". So uke determines what happens to him, we just move with him until he commits to falling a certain way. In that line of thought, I couldn't do gyakugamae ate no matter how much I wanted to, but I could do ushiro ate all day :) Anyone have any thoughts on how to teach someone completely new to Aikido how to get off balanced a certain way to demonstrate a certain move?

No comments: