Monday, June 23, 2008

Ukemi, ukemi, and more ukemi

After talking with Bryce about my upcoming Shodan test in a few months, he suggested I get back into falling practice. Bryce suggested 30-50 side falls a day to get back into the swing of things. I started with 35 on each side making sure to properly get up by pushing up my hips so there's no strain on my knees. After the side falls (which I know 35 on each side should be nothing but I've been really lazy about it and now I suffer for it), I do 10-20 forward rolls and a few reps of tegatana.

2 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Good action plan, man. ukemi is definitely one of the two or three mother-skills in aikido. Especially while you are young like you (and sorta me) you should be doing some ukemi every day. At some point you're going to have to slow down on the ukemi a little, and if you have a LOT of repetitions under your belt before that time then you'll be a lot better off.

Keep working on tegatana and when you can get your partner, work on the two general motions in nijusan (like #1 and #2) and hanasu and walk through nijusan.

Can't wait to see you for the week before woodhenge

uchi deshi said...

Excellent news!! Congrats on the upcoming shodan!!